Alternative Gaming Conventions/Gimmicks

Durrandi
Administrator
So i'm curious if anyone has an things they use/played/seen/etc which are alternative to normal gaming stuff.

For me:  Lou Zocchi showed me this at GameConMemphis

I had asked him about diagonal movement and He was telling me how he overcame the problem with hexes and short-side vs long-side (which way the grain goes).  He gave me sheets of Staggered Squares which gives you the same distance left right and up down as grids, but the versatility of hexes!

Another thing I saw that I really liked (but probably is well known to certain circles) is Hackmaster's style of initiative (CoC uses a stream lined version).   Every turn, everyone rolls an initiative die for melee combat.  Projectile combat always goes off on round 1 and 4, while spells have a specific round they go off on.  (CoC does gun combat, then melee, then second shot)

Re: Alternative Gaming Conventions/Gimmicks