Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Kalypso Queen
Welcome to Balic, City of Sails. It has been 300 years since the fall of the Sorcerer Kings and the land has changed dramatically, boasting oceans, lakes, and rivers instead of all over deserts.  Arcane magic is widely accepted throughout Athas, though it is still looked down on in some of the more remote areas of the world who have not forgotten the tyranny of some of the sorcerer kings.

Each of you have been contacted by an anonymous employer and have agreed to meet them at the Great Gate at sunrise where you will be given your job and fronted part of your pay.  The only information you have about the job is that you will be traveling up the Road of Legions to the Trade Road.  You should prepare for a long journey.

Accepted Races

From the Core Book: Dwarves, Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings, Humans
From the Advanced Race Book: Undine, Oreads, Sylphs, Ifrits, Tieflings, Aasimars, Merfolk, Sulis
Additional Options:

Humanoid (Mul)
Size: M
Base Speed: 30 feet
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Vision: Low Light Vision
Language: Common, Dwarven (Muls with high intelligence can pick from the following to learn: Elven, Draconic, Terran, Undercommon)
Cornered Fury: Whenever a member of this race is reduced to half its hit points or fewer and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, it gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.
Desert Runner: Members of this race receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvations, thirst, and hot/cold environments.
Healthy: Members of this race gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases.
Weapon Familiarity: Muls are proficient with heavy picks and war hammer.  Treat gladiator weapons as martial weapons.

Humanoid (Dray)
Size: M
Base Speed: 30 feet
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma,-2 Dexterity
Vision: Dark Vision
Language: Common, Draconic (Dray with high intelligence can pick from the following to learn: Dwarven, Elven, Terran, Ignan, Auran)
Breath Weapon: Members of this race can make a supernatural breath weapon attack 3 times a day that deals 1d6 per two character levels points of damage of type chosen in the area chosen (once chosen, this cannot be changed).  All creatures in affected area must make a Reflex saving throw to avoid taking damage.  The save DC is 10 + ½ user’s character level + the user’s Constitution modifier.  Those who succeed at the save take no damage.
Bite: Members of this race gain a natural bite attack dealing damage equal to 1d3 damage.  The bite is a primary attack or a secondary attack if wielding manufactured weapons.
Slapping Tail: Members of this race have a tail to make Attacks of Opportunity with a reach of 5 feet that deals 1d8 plus strength modifier in damage.

Humanoid (Half Giant)
Size: L (Large Creatures gain a +2 size bonus to Strength and a -2 size penalty to Dexterity. Large Races take a -1 size penalty to their AC and attack rolls, a +1 bonus on CMB and CMD, and a -4 size penalty on Stealth Checks.  Large Creatures have a reach of 5 feet and take up a space that is 10 ft x 10 ft)
Base Speed: 30 feet
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence
Vision: Normal
Language: Common, Giant (Giants with a high intelligence can pick from the following to learn: Dwarven, Terran, Undercommon, Aklo)
Natural Armor: Members of this race gain a +1 natural bonus to their AC
Rock Catching: Members of this race can catch small, medium, or large rocks or projectiles of similar shape.  Once per round, a member of this race that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex saving throw to catch it as a free action.  The DC is 15 for a small rock, 20 for medium, 25 for a large rock (if the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount).  The member of this race must be aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Humanoid (Thri-Kreen)
Size: M
Base Speed: 30 feet
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma
Vision: Normal
Language: Thri-Kreen (Thri-Kreen with a high intelligence can pick from the following to learn: Common, Sylvan, Aklo, Elven)
Multi-armed: members of this race possess four arms. Members of this race can wield multiple weapons, but only one hand is its primary hand, and all others are off-hands.  It can also use its hands for other purposes that require free hands.
Jumper: Members of this race are considered to always have a running start when making Acrobatics checks to jump.
Swim: Members of this race have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants.

Location
We will be character creating and playing in the Psych Auditorium at 6:00 on Wednesdays.  See you there :)

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Feel free to post what race/class you would like to play before Wednesday so we can all work towards building a balanced party.

I'm thinking Undine Druid (Undine Adept archetype) or Undine Sorcerer with the elemental (water) bloodline but i'll do whatever the party wants/needs.

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Leopard D
I'm thinking a Thri-Kreen Thri-Kreen.  With points in Thri-Kreen so that I can Kreen the most Thri-Kreen Kreen that ever Kreen'd a Kreen.

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Kalypso Queen
Your Thri-Kreen Thri-Kreen-ness reminds me: I am adding Thri-Kreen to the learnable languages list for characters with high intelligence (its not in the book because Pathfinder and Thri-Kreen is DnD if I'm not mistaken).

Also, you might want to be just a tad more specific when we get into character creation :P

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Pirate! I'm going to be a pirate. Perhaps not in class but in background. I've been researching sea shanties; if I go bard prepare for lots of singing in-game.

Who wants cash? You do? Good. Come pick me up from Bartlett. neither your gas tank nor wallet will suffer.

Daniel asked me earlier if bonus XP would be awarded for character background so I figured I would post my answer on here for everyone.  Yes, XP will be awarded but I haven't decided how much yet since I have yet to discuss with the party how we want to do XP (fast track, regular, etc).  We'll decide that on Wednesday at character creation.  But anyways, bonus XP for character background.  Post it here on the forums :)
Owl

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Owl
Is there room for two more? I think one of my friends can probably make it on Wednesday, but I know I'm going. I'll play Half-giant.
That one guy, from the tephra games.

“A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?”

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Leopard D
Show up and we'll find out :D
It's just character creation, so the worst that happens is that you have a fully functional pathfinder character made.

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Kalypso Queen
If you want to know more about a particular city since the fall of the sorcerer kings for your character background, post it here and I will do a write up of that city (or place).

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

I would like to know what cities are now near water (other than Balic obviously).

Also, if my character choice isn't final I would like to play an Undine (Undine Adept racial archetype) Druid (Pack Lord class archetype). My animal companion will be a snapping turtle.

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Kalypso Queen
The following is a list of the cities located next to a body of water:
North Ledopolus (Estuary of the Forked Tongue- River)
South Ledopolus (Estuary of the Forked Tongue- River)
Cromlin (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Fort Firstwatch (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Thamasku (Lake)
South Guard (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Silt Side (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Eldaarich (Located on an island in the Sea of Silt)
Saragar (The Lost Sea- Lake really)
Malthy (Located on an island in the Sea of Silt)
Ral (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Bartigar (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Galth's Spring (Sea of Silt- Ocean)
Euripis (Located on an island in the Sea of Silt)

As for a Pack Lord Druid archetype, that is fine as is the snapping turtle companion

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Radazh_druid_1.pdf

My backpack was handmade from a large tortoise so I counted it as a MW backpack for pricing.

Can Undines have proficiency with tridents? I can't think of a more aquatic weapon.

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Leopard D
This post was updated on .
Holy Cow!  Pages 6 and 7 will teach me how to speak Kreen :O

http://danaki.net/downloads/PDF/Darksun%20-%20The%20Thri-Kreen%20of%20Athas.pdf

Also, some fun facts from the Thri-Kreen of AD&D.  Oh how they have changed to 4e:

Kreen used to have a large thorax like a praying mantis
Thri-Kreen once had venom and natural claw attacks
Water was the enemy of the Kreen, as their carapace prevents them from floating and rots easily
There were difference species of Kreen such as the Tohr-Kreen and Zik-Trin.
Thri-Kreen were once incapable of wearing armor, but had naturally low AC (good thing in 2e)
They were considered large sized in 2nd edition

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Kalypso Queen
Daniel:
Character page looks good.  Yes, trident can be a martial weapon for undines.  Also, for funsies, I'll add a racial feat for undines as well.  So you now have access to Net and Trident Feat.  Enjoy.

Derek:
Poor Kreen, they didn't have it good.  They rotted? Gross >.<  But at least you aren't a large sized bug?
Owl

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Owl
I have few late questions for my character and back-story, Can the big-bad elf I'm looking for be a witch gunslinger? Can i replace one of my feats or racials with half giant psionics?

Half-giant Psionics: Half-giants gain the following spell-like ability: 1/day—stomp. The manifester level for this effect is equal to 1/2 the half-giant’s level (minimum 1st). The DC for this power is equal to 10 + the power’s level + the half-giant’s Charisma modifier.

Kalypso Queen
The stomp ability is granted if it is a feat.  No gunslingers, sorry

Since I'm a bad DM and don't have everyone's phone numbers, please be on the lookout here to see if Pathfinder will be meeting tomorrow. We may not have enough people so keep your eye out. I will post sometime tomorrow if we will be meeting. On another note, I need everyone's phone number
Owl

Re: Dark Sun: Future Edition (Pathfinder)

Owl
This post was updated on .
The furthest back that Sidon remembers, he lived years in a dilapidated hut placed among a small hill and surrounding forrest patches. The hut contained a couple of bedrolls and a small firepit. A short middle aged man with graying hair , whose name he would later find to be Gamlin, had for whatever reasons taken him in when he was too young to remember. The two of them lived in isolation there for years, and for years there was an aloofness in their relations. The man always had a distant look in his eyes when addressing sid. And so through these years chores kept the young half giant busy. Mostly chopping firewood, occasionally trying to track some small animal that distracted him.

By the time Sidon was about nine years old he had grown almost as tall as the man. Around this time, hunting was also added to his periodic chores, if only to stop him from accidentally breaking things.

One day, when he wandered back in from his chores, he found the man was gone but there was a rolled up  old piece of parchment on the ground near the man's bedroll. He picked it up and unrolled it to find that it was a portrait of a woman. The woman in the picture smiled slightly and had hazel eyes as well as fiery red hair. When the old man returned and saw Sidon with the portrait in his hands, he froze. then the next moment he was yelling "PUT IT DOWN".Sidon, in a moment of clarity, thought that the man knew who it was. So he turned the picture slightly, while still holding it in both hands so that the man could see it. While Sidon started to say, "Who is this?", he was interrupted by the sound of tearing parchment. He had just accidentally ripped a corner off.
 After that the old man kicked Sidon out at knife point, in a fit of articulated rage.

Over the longest two years of his life were spent in the wilderness, Sidon scavenged patches of forrests and wrangled against predators not strong enough of numerous enough for him to have to run from. He was eventually found by hunters from a nearby town who were at first wary to approach the haggard half giant teenager. The gruffness of his voice barely helped, but they were surprised that this wild looking half giant could even speak coherently let alone in their language.

So, they brought him back to town and he told his life's story. The hunters seemed to know the man he was talking about, as the referred to him by the name Gamlin. They'd told that Gamlin was a successful mining foreman years ago, and that his daughter was going to be married into a well regarded family in some far off city. About few after that,he hears that not only had she been taken hostage by a cult, but she'd also been affected by some dreadful magic that caused her to birth a half giant instead of a normal kid. She'd died during childbirth and the first news that Gamlin got was when they sent the baby to him.

Sidon worked as a laborer around town because, in spite of his intimidating presence he had greater strength than most others. He lived decently this way into his early twenties while he stewed over what he'd learned when he'd first arrived at this town. This eventually settled him into a deep hatred of the occult and what he deemed to be witchcraft.

When he finally lost patience for the monotony of physical labor, he began to work as a bounty hunter.
most of the time, he wouldnt even have to fight because his intimidating gutteral voice was enough to stop them. Other times he lucked out and they got brave because they had a couple others with them.

Currently, He's tracking down a witch coven said to infest ruins, but the real prize is the leader's head.