Hexes vs. Squares for tactical combat

Mister Fox
In the battle for hexes vs. squares I have always used squares. I know that some people use hexes. What is your opinion on the issue.

So my reasoning is thus. I have played all versions of D&D although 3.0 is easily my heaviest played through computer simulated like Neverwinter Nights, and through DM'in and playing in several campaigns over a decade of play. These books use the square system as an example and I think it stuck. Now that being said I wholly love the Battletech miniature system with its facing rules and hex based movement system. I think the argument for me is I haven't switched because I haven't played an rpg that uses them effectively.

Your thoughts?
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Hexes vs. Squares for tactical combat

I prefer hexes because you don't have to deal with diagonals but I GM a lot and I usually just go with what the party prefers. People always want squares. It doesn't matter much I reckon unless you're dealing with a system that takes facing into account like you mentioned with Battletech.

I would like to see facing matter in more systems but I can only see it affecting the character's backside; the left and right are easily defended but doing a 180 to defend a blow from the rear doesn't sound feasible without a feat or something. But with front and back being the only sides that matter squares would work just fine.