Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

123

Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox
Shimomura the frost village is home to the scorpion clan one of there more welcoming cities for travelers and samurai alike. Here you sit at a table set with the finest tea that this shop can offer. The golden lotus is known for its exquisite tea leaves cultivated by the crane just off of the southern border and for its music provided by its masked scorpion members. You all Have been summoned by Bayushi Himura a scorpion magistrate of power in these lands. A wooden screened door is pushed aside a tall man wearing a dark red kimono enters. "Welcome samurai, I Bayushi Himura extend my gracious and humble thanks for your speedy arrival." His face is covered by a think silk veil worn to cover the movement of his lips a common thing amoung these mysterious clan members. He bows and seats himself at the end of the table. "As your family Daimyo may have told you I am in need of a favor one that may help to save a life or the honor of my family. My young sister Bayushi Fumi has not sent word here in a seasons time and it has been over a year since she started he gempukku and I unlike my Father worry I ask that you please go to Aiso ni Ryokosha Mura in the crane lands and discover what is or has become of Fumi and send word back here." He reaches into his jacket and produces two pieces of paper. "Here these papers will allow you to travel into crane lands without much trouble. This other one is a drawing of a tattoo that is upon her back and left thigh is is of a scorpion dueling a scorpion a symbol of the constant fight within herself. Please Bring her home or at least discover what has happened. You all will be compensated upon the completion of this task. I thank you all and hope to hear word soon." He excuses himself and sees to it that your tea and the music in the room will be your company while you plan your task.
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox
Now for the Game info I have several things that must be known

This game will primarily take place within the Scorpion/Mantis/Crab/Crane lands now that doesn't mean that you must be from those clans however scorpion and crane characters will have a better understanding of the area and etiquette.

Now the clans that you cannot be from are: Spider/Unicorn/Lion for major and for minor Badger/Dragonfly

Building restrictions are as follows all players regardless of class must take etiquette/2

You will need at least 1 courtier

you will need at least 1 Shugenja

Character creation will take place within my eyesight or with some form of communication.

There will be a session devoted to learning the etiquette/character creation/system learning

For right now the game meets Wednesday at Swanns House at 2:00pm-7:00pm that may change  based upon the number of players that will be playing  and when they will be available and work schedules.

For any more infromation text me at 901-275-4007 or email me at jcbeel@memphis.edu or post here and I will respond as fast as I can Thanks and Hope to see you guys soon

Sylraas
Do I absolutely have to take mute?

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox
So there are a few things about the clans you should know:

Crab: these are these are the proud people who protect the Empire form the shadowlands they defend it from a monument called the wall a large wall that is constantly repaired that borders all of the shadowland most crab warriors have spent there fair sharer of time on the wall. They favor earth magic heavy blunt weapons and are mostly brash people they see tradition as a wast of time.

Crane: These slender people are some of the most beautiful warriors in both skill and etiquette Hey specialize in iaijutsu or the art of dueling. Their magic specialty is Air and the trait of the Crane is that they train their warriors to be bodyguards for the great magic of Shujenga

Dragon: They are the proud and the most mysterious of all of the greater clans. Their warriors practice the art of using two swords the daisho The use of a katana in the main hand and the wakizashi in the off hand their magic users specialiaze in Fire magic

Lion: These people are the most warring of all the clans looking for any reason to seek out and increase there hold on rokugan they hold one of the largest armies and are the hand of the emperor they are strong fearless warriors some even flying to a rage there magic is born of water the element of strength.

Mantis: These warriors are in conflict with the pheonix people however are still more loyal to the emperor than to their masters. These trained bushi specialize in scouting and in using a bow better than anyone the magic of their lands shows them to strike hard and strike once they specialiaze in fire magic

Phoenix: These people are the most unusual people they practice the magic of void or use of the all surrounding power. Their bushi are also trained in the use of void to create devestating attacks

Scorpion: These people are the personal spies of the emporer there known for their lying or better truths as they say. They are specialized in speed and use the power of wind to overwhelm their opponent. They even have a shinobi school that is said to be secret but those who know of it are made to keep their secrets or die with them. But these people value the honor that it brings to them serving the emperor in their own way through manipulation and spying.

Spider: These people are evil they worship fu leng the evil magister of the shaadowlands but do so through campaigns of social and manipulative courtship

Unicorn: These people have recently returned to rokugan and specialize in mounted combat

There are many minor clans more than I care to detail here

Ronin: These are people some born others forced into the life are samurai with no master honorless dogs they are often shunned even by the minor clans due to there freedom of no purpose many are seen as thugs and samurai may even falsely accuse them of wrong doing just to see them put to death. But they can redeem themselves and become a functioning member of rokugan in service to the emporer.

"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox

Here are a layout of classes

Bushi: Warriors of the clans these are the ones that are out there swinging the swords or whatever weapon they use killing the people via a weapon.

Courtier: A person specializing in spoken word and the use of subterfuge to convince people to protect yourself or to get information or favors. Their war is conducted in the courts where samurai meet to talk or do business.

Shugenja: The magic users of this world. They each channel the kami the spirits that surround everything and everyone. Earth Fire Water Air Void these elements are what govern their abilities they
can wield might magic from summoning a blast of water or calm a raging storm.

Monk: these characters specialize in using training techniques that they spent their entire lives learning

Clan Specific class: Each clan has their own special class in addition to all the ones listed

I hope this may help get an idea of what you want to do

"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox
When making a character you have 45 points to make your character these points are spent on traits that govern everything advantages to fluff out your character and skills to make yourself useful.

Now when we start xp is spend the same way that BP is and each session you get around 5-7 base bonus xp per 4 hours of play. 1 bonus xp if you played all your advantages and disadvantages and stayed in character. And there will be a 2 xp MVP every session.

Now between sessions you can earn xp by writing a journal 1 xp for a good journal entry writing about the adventure and personal things your character is going through at the time. I would prefer first person narrative around 1 to two paragraph is fine

Now at character creation you can earn up to 8 extra xp a detailed background detailing your family line reason for adventuring and including all of your advantages and skills in it will gain you 4xp

A drawing of your character will award you 4 xp

So this will get you started on your character building:

You will need d10's
A pencil
and scrap paper for notes

Hope this helps

Leopard D
Curse working like the average American, this looks really fun.

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mister Fox
good detailed map

Mister Fox

character creation today at Swann's house 2:00pm
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Hida Hirio

JSwann
Hida Hirio was born twenty two winters ago on the seventeenth day of Rat, to Hida Takeshi and Hida Mokiku. Their blood line had long suffered from the loss of their ancestor, Hida Shuba, to the taint of the Shadowland. To make matters worse, he was not only lost, but conquered by the taint. Now, he stands against the armies of the Empire, a powerful minion. This shame was carried by his bloodline, and only recently started to wane when Takeshi boasted his soon-to-be-born son would grow in power, and slay their fallen ancestor himself. The other Hida scoffed at him, but relented in their ridicule.

He was born with high expectations bestowed upon him. When he could properly hold a sword, he was constantly drilled on being strong and battle savvy. His father taught him all he knew, and made sure he would stand out in his teachings with the Hida Bushi school. He never knew why he pushed so hard; he merely assumed his peers were equally pressured.

On the day he turned fourteen, young Hirio was summoned to the Hida school. There, his father sat alongside Hida Kojuo, sensei to the Crushing Claw dojo he was to be enrolled in. His father had addressed him, and informed him he was to set out on his Gempukku, and slay a creature of the Shadowlands alone. Kojuo-san sat silently, and motioned for Hirio to leave.

His bloodline had never had much, not since his ancestor has caused them great shame. All he took with him were his wits, his strength, a week of rations, and the simple sword he was provided. He was not content to slay some ordinary goblin fodder like his friends had. He would show the clan his bloodline was still strong, and honorable, and devoted to the protection of the lands. He would seek out one of the skeletons of the lands -- fallen members of the clan, reborn as servants to Fu Leng.

It took days of searching for him to come across a skeleton that was alone. Typically, they roved in packs so they could use numbers to their advantage. They may have once been human, but these warriors were now mindless servants, but powerful indeed. He carefully snuck through the rocks, and positioned himself for his ambush. The skeleton just stood lazily about, as if looking for something but being in particular hurry. He wasn't going to lose this chance. He burst out from the rocks, and charged the skeleton. It turned to face him, but not before Hirio was upon it. He slashed through it's tibia and fibia, sending it crashing to the ground. He kicked the weapon off to the side, and then hacked it's head off. A cloud of something visibly left the skeleton, and it rested motionless.

Something didn't sit right with him though. He soon realized why. All around him, he heard the clattering of bones, the strange noises the warriors would make, and the sound of steel being drawn or scraped across the stone. He put his back to the wall, determined to fight whatever emerged. Five more skeletons revealed themselves from the surrounding rocks, and closed in on their young prey. He knew he could cripple at least two, but wasn't too sure of his chances. He waited until his foes drew closer, and were in a tighter group. They were almost upon him, the green flames of their eyes now much more vivid. He prepared for his assault. He charged to the left, cracking the legs bones of the flanking skeleton, and turned to slash the spine of the next. Those two wouldn't be of much concern now. He attempted to disarm the third, but only succeeded in fracturing the bone a little bit. The remainder reformed, and prepared to strike back.

Hirio prepared a defense -- if he could survive their attack, he was certain he could disable them and finish them off. It was a big if though. Suddenly, he heard a whistling sound over his head, and the heads of two of the skeletons fell from their spinal columns. Not giving much time to consider what it was, Hirio deflected the lone incoming attack, and severed the head of the final skeleton. He finished off the two he had disabled, and turned toward the source of the arrows. Upon the ridge stood a girl of about sixteen. She bore the mark of the Crabs scouts. "Thank you for the help, but I assure you, I had it under control." he remembered saying.

"You're a pretty bad liar, you know. My name is Hiruma Ami, and by the looks of it, you're out on your Gempukku. You really should be more careful... take your three skulls and I'll get you back to your village. I'm sure they'd have a hard time believing you killed these skeletons. Come on." she had said to him. He remembered quite well what she had said.

They made small talk on the way back, and she seemed pretty cheery for a Hiruma. It didn't take them too awfully long to arrive back in his village. They entered the dojo, and he presented his four skulls to a very impressed Kojuo. Ami confirmed the tale, saying she had assisted him, but he had personally taken down four of the six. His father was certainly proud, and presented his katana and wakizashi. He was a man now, a true Bushi of the Crab Clan. He was deemed ready for frontline work as well, after he was trained to use the tools of the Crab.

His next four years were mundane at worst. He hadn't been back home since he was trained properly in heavy weapons and armor, and had spent nearly three years on the Wall. He didn't see much action, nothing above small scale assaults by goblins and skeletons. It was during this time he developed his interests in games of strategy, and enjoying the moments of peace he could get. Many a day was spent against the battlements of the wall in a light sleep, soaking up the rays of sun in the most peaceful moments he could experience, ever aware of the horrors that lurked just beyond the wall.

Slowly, I opened my eyes. Through the thin slits in my straw hat, I could see the sun was still high in the sky. I blew gently on the grass whistle in my mouth, and smiled a little bit. I had been off the wall for a few months now, and I suddenly remembered why. I was being sent to some noble's house, to help him with something. I think it was a missing cat? Or maybe a daughter. Either way, I was sent for some reason. They know this isn't my thing... maybe he's promising aid to the wall? Better be worth it, whatever it is. All I know is, no Cranes had best get into my business. They might find themselves harder to look at it in their vanity mirrors afterwards. I sat upright on the railing I had fallen asleep on, and stretched a little bit. I sloppily folded my blanket, and tossed it into my traveling pack. I made sure my Ono and Tetsubo were securely on my back, and tossed my cloak around my shoulders. The gray cloak fluttered lightly in the breeze, revealing my dark blue armor beneath it. My grass whistle caught the breeze, and escaped my mouth. Oh well.

I still had a day or so of walking before I got where I was going, wherever the hell that was. The way I figured, I stand out pretty well in these lands. I'm sure the noble will see me when I get there. I looked for my walking stick, and started on my way. I just hope this guy proves to give me a little excitement when I get there. I don't want to deal with all his noble bull.

Re: Hida Hirio

JSwann
Day 1

I arrived in Shimomura, and met my travelling companions: A Crane, A Mantis, and a Scorpion. We were later joined by a Matis Shugenja, who promptly took to insulting the honor of the Crab.

The night was uneventful, and I retired early for the night. We awoke early, and my companions bickered endlessly about plans and maps, while I waited patiently to leave after a light breakfast.

We left the area about an hour later, and were on the road to Shaigia when we were attacked by some rogue samurai. I took the brunt of the attack, saving the group from the ambush. We quickly dispatched of them, and arrived at small village to rest.

Re: Hida Hirio

Mister Fox
Moshi Ayaki journal #1+2

The last few weeks have been very interesting. I would be lying if I said that my personal feelings for Asahina-kun have not been growing stronger each day. I watched as my new group the Yojimbo Shugyo battle a group of rouge ji-samurai. I saw Asahina in all of his splendor jump into the fray with the crab that I have Disdain for I worry very much for the person for which I care for and will be praying to the water kami for strength to keep sending home all that I can so he can be kept alive. Should he die my honor would leave me quickly. We are in Shaiga and O-Tsurichi-sama is here and ready to begin negotiations with the young foreigner Catalina. I hope to spread stories of our journey and to gain some renown in this area. My companions
Asahina I love you
Daidoji I wish I could be you
Shosuro I don’t trust you
Tsurichi you make me wonder
Hida I tolerate you
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Hida Hirio

JSwann
The townsfolk, for once, were some people who weren't overly concerned about impressive the living crap out of me, and I enjoyed our stay. They tended to my wounds, and we stayed a bit in their comfortable teahouse. Afterwards, we were tasked with finding a missing Imperial carriage.

Some high and mighty Crane... Asahina... showed up. He said he was sent to protect Moshi... She will need his help with that mouth of hers. Granted, she is growing on me.

We arrived at a cave after following the trail of the missing carriage. Some worthless, yellow-bellied excuses for samurai had taken some foreigner hostage. They fell like grass before me. I didn't even take off my travelling equipment.

We wrapped up there, and I carried the young girl back to the village. The discussion at dinner mildly amused me, for Moshi actually managed to inspire some form of laughter from me. She might be smug, but she's pretty damn funny when she mouths off to other people.

I feel asleep on the roof, gazing at the night stars. I was later awoken by a drunken Asahina. I didn't ask a lot of questions, we just drank and were merry.

Day 2

I awoke late to find my blanket missing, and I was on the ground. I searched quickly for my blanket, and found it just inside. I joined the mindless banter of our table, lazily lounging, focusing on what was needed or to make quips at Moshi. We were to take young Caterina? Catelina? I dunno. To some Scorpion town near the coast. I think her family is there, based on what I heard from our courtier friend.

We finally got on our way, after the town calligrapher gave us a wonderfully crafted banner bearing our names. The best things come from the humblest origins.

Asahina Mitsuzuka

Asahina Mitsuzuka, Yojimbo of the Crane Clan currently escorting Moshi Ayaki, Shugenja of the Mantis Clan

Appearance: Light blue armor, long white hair, pale skin. 6'0" 178 lbs. He has a very amiable visage but his skin tone and hair are strange to people from the southern lands.  Unless he is in the presence of superiors he always has a smile on and it is difficult to anger him.  This does not mean he will ignore an insult to his family or clan, however.

He is from Cold Wind City, a trading village blocked off by the Spine of the World Mountains.  Most trade is done via ship as passage through the mountains is difficult, but he has made the journey from his city to other lands numerous times.  Because of this constant and arduous traveling he is impatient with any companions who are not willing to travel from dawn until dusk. Like all Daidoji yojimbo, he was trained equally well to serve either in an army or as a personal bodyguard.  He prefers working as a yojimbo because he gets to travel more as opposed to the "hurry up and wait" stance that many generals take waiting for something to happen.  He was stationed in Shishiro Daidoji for a time defending the castle but was soon sent to escort a courtier to Mantis lands.  During this journey he learned a bit about about shugenja and came to respect them. Ever since that first assignment it has been his dream to spend time in the presence of a shugenja.  Their magic is fascinating and he envies how attuned they are to the kami.  He is not particularly pious but he respects them enough.  He is not too fond of courtiers, finding them unnecessarily formal.  He understands etiquette but quickly becomes annoyed when in the company of courtiers because he wants them to speak plainly.  He does not trust any of them, regardless of clan.  He respects all other bushi: the archers for their precision and the ones who use the large weapons for their strength.  He is not envious of anyone else because their technique is not as perfect as his.  Love is something that has been burning on his mind since childhood but he has been careful not to express his curiosity.  Marriage is arranged, usually used as a bargaining tool or to signify a treaty.  That makes sense for the imperial families but what about the peasants? They have no need for this type of exchange.  Is it acceptable, then, for them to marry for love and nothing else?  He secretly envies the peasants' simple way of life in this regard and wants nothing more than to fall in love even though he would have to keep it secret so as not to bring dishonor to his family.  Random sex is not something he is particularly fond of and he does not partake of the services of geisha very often which his companions sometimes find odd.  This ties in to his daydreams of love.  While he is not "saving himself" for marriage he does not find much pleasure in screwing someone he feels nothing for.

This is the picture from the book, but it fits him perfectly except for the cranes on top of the shoulder pieces.  His hair is tied back during combat and formal situations but it remains free whenever possible.

Re: Hida Hirio

JSwann
Tenth Day of Rooster

The Mantis grow more and more on my nerves. We've stayed here for weeks, and all I see is cowardice and corruption. I feel as if I am being watched, and not just by Hiruma-chan. I've felt this way since losing the duel against the gnat of our company; his lucky shot barely drew blood, but blood nonetheless.

We've been here since the Twenty-sixth of Goat, and each day I am forced to deal with the ceaseless talking of the Courts, and the cowardice of these ignoble "bushi". They all forget their duty to the Empire, and live lives for only themselves.

Thankfully, the hour of Goat is swiftly approaching, and we will be leaving. I cannot express how wonderful it will be to be rid of their filth, and basking in the sun of a nice peasant village.

Re: Hida Hirio

Mister Fox
This is Moshi's story as seen from her eyes during the stay at Shaiga

We arrived at the village to see O-Tsurichi-sama he asked that we all represent Caterina at the summer
 courts here in this village. I didn't quite understand why they would let a Scorpion someone known for their
intricate Lies and weaving imperfect truths. Nonetheless there many events to myself and others busy. The first few days were spent staying here in the tea house of many names talking and getting ready for the events durring the first few nights I was informed of the arrival of Moshi Ryo a shugenja that would be meeting  with Tsurichi-sama to discuss the Moshi shugenja involvement in the travel across the icy seas to the western lands. I was excited to see my master once again and eager to learn new techniques and further my goals in mastering my fire magics and learn to better serve my lord and the kami.

Week 1: A collection of Moshi tales

This week the tournaments have ended with much happening Moshi Ryo will arrive next week so I have decided to relax while I can. Nobumoto-sama held a tournament for the archers and of course Kantu-san wanted to gain renown in the area so he competed...However this was all thrown off as the Crab also competed with no chance of winning. I still wonder to this day if he is serious or just trying to be funny. Noumoto-sama went to words or encouragement to each warrior and while speaking to the Crab it would seem that he used some less than acceptable words and kept his life somehow. Nobumoto-sama as a way of showing the Crab the error of his ways instructed Kantu-san to duel him but with some different rules Kantu-san was given a bow and the Crab kept his heavy weapon. Kantu-san won the duel but failed at doing his job and has been dishonored and I hope that he will regain his place back, lest I remove him from my presence. I got the great honor of watching Asahina-kun play in a Go tournament and even get the chance to play a game with Nobumoto-sama. Watching him use his tactics and battle skills masterfully makes me swoon even more each day. for his great display of knowledge and battle prowess he received a Go board bearing the markings of a daimyo. I myself competed in the poetry tournament and won masterfully

The river is here.
Flowing ever in motion.
Until it changes.

The tree in the Fall.
Changes shape and loses leaves.
Until Spring Returns.

The unending flame.
Fire is warm and burns with life.
Until it is quenched.

The water is gone.
The fire has been extinguished.
The tree still stands, alone.

Next week begins the preperation for the courts and the massive amount courtly things that will happen and the arrival of my master and long month that will pass by slowly.
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Hida Hirio

Sylraas
10th Day of the Rooster

After I returned to the party, we continued our search for Byushi Fumi. Bandits continued to ambush us on a fairly regular basis despite our honorable quest. I was severely wounded by one such encounter. Asahina Mitsuzuka, Hida Hirio, Moshi Ayaki, and myself had decided to keep pushing forward towards the Crane lands instead of waiting until morning, while the rest stayed behind. During our struggle, I killed my first opponent swiftly and was cut down by another right after. I lost consciousness but was quickly revived and healed by the gracious Moshi Ayaki, I then thanked her humbly and she seemed rather happy. I should have waited until morning though. I let my impatience get the better of me, and acted foolishly. I must undergo more discipline, training, and meditation for this behavior in myself is unacceptable.

"The spear waits not for its master, but rushes forth to guard the way."

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mother Ducks
This post was updated on .

My journey to become a warrior is proving to be resilient. Today, as the wounded lie about the guard tower basin, I did my best to help those who are in dire need. More and more kept being tumbled into small piles -- the dead here, wounded there, then off go the kangosotu back to the front lines of their seemingly endless fight today. A tough but honorable way of earning my right to sleep here. And why not use my skills to help others less fortunate than I? Atleast I have my health, there is not a thing I can complain about.

But the work thinned, the help I could give was ample to those who trickled in by midday and there was talk that spread through the town of an awkward bunch travelling through town, stirring up curiosities among the townspeople. They approached me in question of a woman that they were in search of. Though I had not heard anything of this bunch before, nor the person they were trying to find, I immediately felt a need to join their party. My path to a destiny of honor and glory await my soul tells me as I offer my hand in help and am politely accepted, making the estranged company 1 more. After speaking with a local samurai tea house owner I was assigned my last job in the town before resting well into the night, after a brief meditation.

Hours after dawn, we embarked towards the Wolf City. On the road, we encountered passing samurai, who at first seemed suspicious, but after losing to a party member to a friendly Iijutsu duel, we realized that their intentions were as good as ours. Continuing onward we stop at the capital of the Crane lands. Here, I split off to find my companion, Alpo-chu.

Alpo-chu is a young, medium-haired white and grey wolf. I have been training him all day and have now taught him to follow me, sit and stay in place. He will prove useful to us in the future, as he seems to have a good spirit.

I will sleep now, for tomorrow we will journey onward in hopes of finding our target.

Re: Legend of The Five Rings 3ER

Mother Ducks
Side : "Dragon Clan"
Arm : "Lion" (tattoo)