Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

1234

Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
This post was updated on .
Legend_of_the_Five_rings_4th_Edition.pptx

Hello to all of the possible players that are reading this message it excites me that I will be running another session of the Great AEG system Legend of the Five Rings. This is the first time I will be running the new rules with people with me I have playtested  the system via skype and in IRC im excited about the entire system and we will begin character creation in a week or so and the final date will be listed below any people who have been excluded im very sorry I will be posting some new info here in the thread like the classes and clans and some stuff that be interesting to some people I will also be showing links to pages that will help you to begin your quest as a samurai and how the character creation will work.

Let me be the first to welcome you to L5R.

http://www.4shared.com/document/ybPyVclM/L5R_Legend_Of_The_Five_Rings_4.htm
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
here is a picture that is cool and will hopefully get you an idea of what you are getting yourself into.

"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
Ok So I'm going to make some posts giving you some game things that are vital to your understand of the culture and other such things. Below will be some information about the Geography.

The land is vast and varied Reaching from the top of the Dragon lands, which are vast deserts and mountainous regions, and to the temperate lands where the lion clan resides reaching through the colder thick forested lands of the crane then finally to the tainted earth of the crab hardened by conflict. Rokugan still has places even further than the mainland's reaching all the way to the land of silk and spice a tropical land with palm trees and citrus fruits and the largest naval army ever seen. All of these lands pay tribute to the many people that inhabit them via ore, produce, and defensible positions (minus the crab who made their own structure).

Caste system and celestial order.
Rokugan is a caste system it has 3 castes and these people remain in the caste they are born into unless they willingly choose to give up their name and life and seek teaching through a monastery. The most powerful of these is the samurai caste containing within it at the top Emperor and the lowest ji-samurai or freshly graduate samurai. The largest of these castes are the Hinin or half people the many people who maintain a job or work for a samurai directly maintaining fields or working as a merchant or other task that is below the station of a samurai. The last are eta non-people people that are forced into labor that is a sin for most Rokugan all people look down upon these beings even peasants will push and taunt these people as if they are above them and most samurai will kill an eta for even showing a small breach of etiquette. Now 2 jobs are exempt from this line of thinking. One Geisha these entertainers are a samurai's friend they allow them to remove there "on" (how a samurai must conduct himself) and become just another human for a day. They will be a vital aspect of what it means to be an entertainer. The last is a torturer these people touch flesh and are unclean and are just as useful as a farmer when the time comes. These men are treated with no respect but with a wary eye seeing as they know how to extract information if they need to. Your samurai doesn't have to be a person who is mean to peasants and kills all eta that look at him/her it is not a requirement you can show a virtue of bushido (Compassion) by even giving a slight nod to peasants and even to an eta if he or she has proven their worth to you. GM note: Showing compassion to someone below your station for reasons of pure intent will grant you honor points and a reputation for great deeds in the empire.

Rituals:
There are many rituals in life Birth id the first most babies are given a small ceremony based upon where they are born and to what family and clan it is each with its own ritual. The second major one is selecting a school to attend. The next is marriage which gives each samurai political and constructive power within the family seeing as it can boast the power of the clan and bring a new samurai into life if need be. Or can be used as a bargaining tool if needed. Retirement happens at the age of forty at that time samurai are considered to be too old to hold station and will live out their lives as teachers and Wiseman. The last is the ritual of death which is done by having mortician prepare the body then it is burned upon a pyre then the family using special chopsticks remove the bones of the burned and places them into an urn that is then burned after a period of grieving has occurred.

Basic titles:
Names are easily done by family name then personal name. Samurai who do not know each other just refer to one another via their clan name and the suffix -san or -Sama if they believe the samurai to be of higher station. Samurai that are comfortable will refer to one another with the -san suffix and the family name such as Doji-san or -Sama if they are of higher station samurai of personal nature will use the personal name and a loving suffix like -Kun or -chan.
So here are the suffixes in order
-Sama Higher station
-San generic suffix used for all equals
-Kun loving male or young boy
-Chan loving female or young woman

Etiquette day to day:
All samurai bow, it is that simple a basic greeting is a bow or a nod and the reciever to follow suit. If the person is your lord or better usually you will fall to your knees and place your head on the ground to show upmost worship. Samurai are expected to keep values such as to not yell in public unless dishonored and to keep a cool wording about everything. All Samurai who speak of courtly affairs usually do so in a tone of secrecy. For example you will not simply say to a general "will you stand against the enemy with the full force of your army". This would be to forward for the ears of these people. Visiting is tricky if you reach a province of a daimyo that is currently living in the town you are expected to announce your arrival and to give them an opportunity to refuse saving time for your members and to save the face of the daimyo. Also as you travel papers will be required to pass stations that dot the land around the empire. Gifts are a major thing in ceremonies gifts of money mean nothing but a gift of chopsticks made from the jade of a sword used to defeat a rival of the clan is a great gift even the gifting of a cloth worn to an imperial court can been seen as a great gift indeed. Food is almost always rice with a fish or chicken component. Red meat is looked down upon as a sin by most great clans minus the unicorn who came from the burning sands and learned to eat it there. We will have an open discussion about how to do the roles of women in Rokugan their are two rules one that puts women on equal ground with mean and the other creates a double standard but we will discuss this.

Religion:
Their are three major religions shintao, Fourtunist, and Ancestral. Shintao is study of the kami and their affecting everything. Fourtunist studies and carries out the will of the gods of Rokugan called the fortunes. The last is the study of what your ancestors in your family have done and want you to do. All simple all easy to digest. There are three substances associated with religion Jade-Purity Diamond-Strength Obsidian-Evil and emptiness

Bushido: Learn the codes you will live by there will a post devoted to them.

Crime: Crimes are governed by the imperial and clan magistrates who investigate the crimes and the daimyo's that enforce them these are their stories.

Dueling: There is formal combat system in L5R devoted to dueling this is the most common settling of things in Rokugan. I'll explain further in future post.

War:
All clans fight and each will send small force time to time into a province to simply keep on another on their toes most full out war has been stopped and made a crime by the Emperor.

So this is the etiquette that you will be dealing with I'm excited to hear from my players and the next section will detail the Clans.

"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Admod
Moshi Ayaki wrote
Your samurai doesn't have to be a person who is mean to peasants and kills all eta that look at him/her...

So we don't HAVE to be that person...but we can be right?

Oh also, my character will be looking like this...

But not really...

That is correct most samurai follow all of these guidelines however some don't based upon what clan or where they were born. If you choose not to follow it then it is your choice i will not force anyone to be honorable however, the honor system will be unforgiving if you make breaches of etiquette in the presence of high ranking samurai.
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
Sztharaxycus wrote
I'm hella excited. Has anyone found an electronic version of the book? I want it.

as of a few days ago the book was released for electronic copy and may or not be found on the interwebs  as soon as I find it I will make it findable
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
This post was updated on .
The clans:
Rokugan is full of many diverse people of these people they are broken down into clans, these are the groups that are constantly at war and what they use to identify who they are as people and a culture.

Name: Crab
Description: These are the largest warriors in the empire and they are for good reason they guard the carpenter wall keeping a watch over shadowlands creatures that may be trying to gain access to the empire at heart. This job has turned them away from the courtly acts and the often required. They show no
remorse for not ad-hearing to the courtly rules and will often shun away from it just to find their enemy
off balance from it.
Bushido code's: Duty/Honor
Feeling about other clans:
Crane: They are socialites with no love for the duty that consumes the empire
Dragon:Possibly cowards why do they hide in the mountains
Lion:True warriors of the empire but care not what the crab do.
Mantis:These lost brothers will seel one another down the river if it means a bigger place in the empire
Phoenix: pussies
Scorpion: They are worse than crane unlike the crane they have no honor
Unicorn: They follow no rules understand what it means to be lost and are our closest allies

Name: Crane
seek to bring all clans together in a political struggle. They are the wealthiest of all clans owning 1/3 of the
empires wealth.
Bushido code's:Sincerity, courtesy,honor
Feeling about other clans:
Crab:Warring arrogant pricks
Dragon: Stay in the mountains and we don't have a problem
Lion:Angry hot headed warriors who command too much  military power, they hate that we tell them so
Mantis: Mantis are great tools to get the job done especially when all they want is a small political favor in return
Phoenix: closest ally they seem to want peace through political negotiations and we are willing to help
Scorpion: liars cheats they would forgo even the highest honor to have their opponent
Unicorn: They are brutish like many of the crab however these warriors do not follow many Rokugani rules. watch them closely they owe us for their full return and recognition as a Major clan

Name: Dragon
Description: Dragon clansmen are mostly comprised of monks looking for answers through meditation, these proud warriors are the only men in the empire to know how to wield two swords during battle and have each be an effective weapon. They are the leaders of the Togashi tattooed monks and holders of knowledge that is as old as the empire.
Bushido:Sincerity,Compassion They are true in everything they do and compassion because they see troubles and wish to see why others suffer
Crab: They do not realize how little they know and how fast they would fall without the help of everyone
Crane: They are their own worst enemy and are the reason for the alienation of everyone in the empire
Lion: They use war as a crutch and miss out on the world around them
Mantis: These people live life to the fullest and as such have come to experience everything the empire has to offer but can sometimes forget to stop and realize what there actions will do.
Phoenix: These are truly the enlightened souls of the empire if only they would humble themselves
Scorpion: It is not our job to judge them and they can be great allies when the times come, be cautious
Unicorn: Strong people who know what they want and their acceptance of these things make them smart

Name: Lion
Description: War!. These people are constantly snatching land up from the other clans and taking what isnt theirs and making it theirs and are the right hand of the emperor and control and use of the Imperial army because they are it.
Bushido: HONOR above all else in combat, they try to follow all tenants of Bushido and want to be the masters of the code although they can forget compassion at times.
Crab: Lawless warriors if only they would learn to refine their skills in honor
Crane: These cowards hide behind the emperor when it comes time to pay for their actions and we seek to call them out for their unsavory actions
Dragon: They hide in the mountains and are unimportant to u
Mantis: They are powerful and ambitious, however here in the mainland they are unsignificant they cant reach us on the plains
Phoenix: Powerful magical people who can change the tide of battle but choose not to use it and create a notion of peace instead
Scorpion: Lies cheats and thieves. We will destroy them if its the last thing we do
Unicorn:Best warriors on cavalry in the empire we could learn from them and they hold honor in high regard

Name: Mantis
Description: This clan is most seafaring and lives on the tropical lands of silk and spice and are detached from the empires mainland troubles and were once part of the crab but left when denied their birthright. Best archers and pirates in the empire and soon to be the largest center of trade in all of Rokugan. They will give their lives in an effort to fix the wrongs that happens to their siblings
Bushido:Courage, and duty. You don't become a great clan being timid and non-organized
Crab: They have one thing on their mind and its not exciting
Crane:Cowardly politicians who steal glory
Dragon: Umm, Their weird
Lion: Angry war minded bigots who wanted to push us out. Do they fear us or not want us to succeed
Phoenix: They went to war with us. They lost we won
Scorpion: hey have seen what it means to have the entire mantis clan want you dead.
Unicorn: They have given us courtesy and respect so we give them the honor they are owed

Name: Phoenix
Description: These people follow the tao of shinsei which is a life devoted to non-violence most phoenix samurai forgo all violence unless provoked in order to better understand what lie really means
Bushido: They follow compasion and courtesy if they follow Bushido
Crab: If only they could understand the tao of shinsei it would be so much easier for everyone
Crane: They avoid all out war like us but all to often petty politics get involved and mess everything up
Dragon: Seeking too much knowledge has made them weak in all aspects of belief
Lion: War. One day they will meet a foe that will stop them
Mantis: the celestial order left them behind long ago. They just haven't realized it yet
Scorpion: They lie so much they don' even know what to believe
Unicorn: Uncouth, however they hold knowledge that we require so we will give them respect till we discover it

Name: Scorpion
Description: They will lie to ultimately get what they want from everyone even if that means telling multiple lies to multiple people keep everyone guessing and all will be resolved. The emperor has charged them with keeping the clans fighting to keep the empire prosperous and they do the task given to them well.
Bushido:Duty, Sincerity
Crab: Brutish pawns
Crane: Political Pawns
Dragon: mysterious pawns
Lion: Militaristic pawns
Mantis:Naval pawns
Phoenix: Magical pawns
Unicorn: We made them a clan again they owe us

Name: Unicorn
Description: These people left for the burning sands long ago and only recently returned. Their time there has made them diffrent even the magic that they use is not of this place and their customs are strange and foreign. Very nomadic lifestyle and they have the best horseman in the empire
Bushido: Compasion, and duty
Crab:  The identify with our customs and understand what it means to feel a loss so deeply
Crane: They allowed us to return and we must remember that
Dragon: They hide in the mountains and we never see them
Lion:  Our greatest enemy they would push us out given the chance
Mantis: Very much like us they seek to find their place in the empire
Phoenix: They only like us because of our knowledge of ganjin magic
Scorpion: They are blighted and untrustworthy but we owe them.

Here is all the clan info
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Admod
This post was updated on .
Now for my try at doing this.

Name: Scorpion Clan

Description: Originally the first Emperor of Rokugan told his brother to become a sort of villain that would threaten the other Great Clans. This was so the Emperor would all ways have a scapegoat so no Great Clan would threaten the Emperor himself for doing anything. They are the Emperor's 'unseen' hand. The Scorpion Clan was thus created and they are a clan that will do all most anything to achieve their goals. However, most of the time they just allow enemies to suspect them to have done some crime. The enemy then would start to spend resources to find out the plans of the Scorpion Clan. Because of this, the Scorpion Clan has effectively caused the economy to move continue to flow. With war, there are those that profit and those that don't. The last bit of information of the Scorpion Clan is that even though many other clans hate them, they have seemed to remain loyal to the Emperor(though this is not mentioned I believe). From what I've read, "Perhaps the Scorpion cannot be trusted in most things, but in their loyalty, they are unwavering." Also...they apparently like to wear masks at all time. Honorable to wear on since the person who created their clan wore one.

Bushido code's: From what I've picked out I'd assume their code would be along the lines of duty and loyalty(to whom they think deserves it).

Feeling about other clans:
Crab: The crab people are easy to fool and quick to anger. They are an amusement to tease, just don't get caught. They seem to have the same value of duty as us, so they're all right. We certainly don't hate them.

Dragon: They are cowards hiding in the mountains. They have no sense of duty.

Lion: The only reason to fear a Lion is death, though there is no reason to truly fear that either. They hide behind what they think is courage when they really hide behind faith and devotion without cause. Their perceptions of honor and glory are false and if they would but listen and try to understand our logic they would become immensely more useful. Regardless of how stubborn a Lion might be, they all possess the seed of doubt within them that they fear the Scorpion will set off if they listen to any arguments we present to them.

Mantis: They are just a big minor clan.

Phoenix: We must admit they are quite excellent in dealing with politics and storing knowledge. They do this to achieve enlightenment. It is an ignorant thing to try to do really. While they achieve enlightenment, their enemies can just trample them so they might achieve it in death. One may study techniques and fighting styles and other military things, but unless one knows how to execute them properly they will all ways be at a disadvantage in real scenarios.

Crane: These guys are so high and mighty. Who do they think they are? They might think they are better than everyone else now, but things change all according to time.

Unicorn: They don't seem to be much of a bother to us. We have thought about using them to cause trouble, but never really done anything to them. We have managed to manipulate many, but when it comes to them we have no interest. They are not a problem.

Minor clans: We'll manipulate the Lion clan to take out the trash.
------------------------

Name: Mantis Clan

Description: Haha. We have been looked down upon for far too long. We are no longer a Minor Clan. We are no longer the pirates and thugs that we used to be. We are getting better. WE are the Emperor's fleet. We are his navy. Nothing can stand up to our might in the water. The once Great Clans have fallen and it is up to use to show the Emperor our worth.

Bushido code's: Honor, Loyalty, Duty

Feeling about other clans:
Crab: We came from the Crab clan. We respect them and get along with them well. They seem to understand us too. If they get into trouble, we are the first to respond.

Dragon: We...don't understand them. We are of the water and they are of the mountains. We have no conflict with them.

Lion: We do not like the Lion clan. Before we became a minor clan, they tried to force us out of the land. Before we became a major clan, they tried to force us out of the lands. Now that we are a major clan, we are cool now...I guess. We haven't had any major all out wars with them.

Scorpion: We do not like this clan. We understand why they do things. We understand their duty. We would like them better if they changed their methods of getting their duty done.

Phoenix: They are weak. We despise them more than any other clan. They are too close to us. We fight all the time over many things. It's a wonder why we're the only clan to ever defeat them in a war.

Crane: They hired us when we were minor to get certain jobs done. They have provided us the source of income to become a Major clan. How foolish of them to get angry when we start to make our own economic force in Rokugan? We shall remember their contributions to our cause and respect them.

Unicorn: Hah. These guys are great. The only other clan to have ventured to other lands and got some culture other than our homeland in them. We adore them and we feel that they adore us too.

Minor clans: They are our babies, our brothers, our children, our friends. We offer them to join our clan so they might experience the benefits of being a Great Clan. Those that refuse our offer still get a voice in our courts and we treat them all with great understanding of their plights.

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
Players the time has come I have made my decisions I'm allowing everything in the book that is cannon for the storyline this includes spider clan stuff and most families ask and I'll help. all players must declare a alignment and a new mechanic I'm trying where you pick 3 tenants of bushido that your character will follow, or the tao if you are a monk or phoenix. Also you will have a ancestry that I will help you make and also you will need to post your character here on the forums and I will show you how to do that.

Character creation will be in psych Lobby at 7:00pm on Tuesday  September 14th ,2010
or by appointment made with me the first day of full game play will be the following week.

Here are my players that I have listed:
Mallory "Shu" Moore
Daniel "Heartache" Henry
Alex "Buttercup" Christian
Bradley "I'm serious" Moore
Jonathan "It's too early" Swann

So to help with a few things I'm listing links that can help you in your search for info.
http://www.l5r.com/images/L5R%204E%20Character%20Sheet-LoRes.pdf
L5R.com
http://www.l5r.com/category/products/rpg/
http://www.enworld.org/forum/blogs/l5r-design-diaries/
Unofficial theme song for L5R
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY2OvZ9T3E

I will update this post with more info as it comes. Also I will send this as an email to everyone as soon as I can. Begin to get an idea of what you want to do with you character and I will be ready tuesday and I hope you are too.

"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

YAAYY Yoshida Brothers!  And the character sheets for this edition look hella cool. I wish I could print in color though.  Color prints are only $0.35 at Paw Prints...

Anyway, i'll be there on Tuesday.  I'm looking to play a unicorn shugenja or unicorn mounted samurai but those decisions were made in like .07 seconds so i'll have to look again.

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

sesrin66
hey i'm Mallory SHU and i will either be in the clan of dragon or mantis. This is my first time playing any sort of roleplaying, really. so yeah. should be interesting.

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
Just a Reminder that character creation will begin at 7:00pm in the Psych Lobby and You will need 3 things
1.Character sheet printed out and ready to complete
2.Pencil to complete character sheet
3.1 d10 to complete process

I have listed as players:

Daniel Henry
Alex Christian
Jonathan Swann
Mallory Moore
Bradley Moore

I look forward to seeing everyone and am excited to get this campaign underway.  This campaign
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Motifake

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

buttercup91901
Character creations! YAY! I can't wait. I still don't know what clan I'm going to be in but I do have a d10 and a pencil luckily! I kinda want to play Scorpion but I don't know much about it because I haven't had a chance to read over them all but that's what I got on my quiz. Can't wait for 7! <3
"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it. Extinction is approaching. Fight it." -Eclipse Phase

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

buttercup91901
sesrin66 wrote
<center>hey i'm Mallory SHU and i will either be in the clan of dragon or mantis. This is my first time playing any sort of roleplaying, really. so yeah. should be interesting. </center>
HI MALLORY!
:-)
Roleplaying is AMAZING so it will be interesting :-) See you tonight!!
"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it. Extinction is approaching. Fight it." -Eclipse Phase

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Shadowtalon
This post was updated on .
EDIT: Disregard that, chemistry lab is today.

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Mister Fox
Welcome players to the newest edition of L5R. Tuesdays game will be the Adventure Legacy of Disaster which will show off all the new rules and make cool showings of the major possibilities when I begin to write my own custom campaign for the group. This adventure should take around 7-8 hours so that's 2 sessions and I will be super excited to finish it I'm going to attempt to get the party to the climax around hour 5 so when we leave for the night and the week you get that sense of aww man I wanna finish this right now.

A few things to keep in mind Investigation skill will be used a lot in this module. Etiquette can be explained via a skill roll and if you are unsure what your character would do in this situation roll a etiquette roll tell me your number and I will explain to your character what he/she remembers to do in the given social situation.

If your character is not done by midnight tonight call me and make plans to work on it so we can play as soon as the session starts.

901-275-4007
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

Can we make any changes to our character before Tuesday?  I remember over the summer you let us modify our character up until the second session but I didn't know if that rule was still in effect.  I just want to put a couple of ranks in etiquette.
1234