Mass Effect: Zero

1234 ... 11

Mass Effect: Zero

JSwann
This post was updated on .
Shock, gasp, etc etc. Project Zero has finally been unveiled as none other than: MASS EFFECT: ZERO

So what does that mean?

It means Chase and I have developed most of our core rules, and the basic mechanics worked out. So naturally, we need to see if it actually works.

Over the summer I will be hosting a series of sessions for interested peoples, as well as those of you I know can break a system.

Use this as a chance to see if this would be a game you are interested in, and at the same time, help make it your own.

Reason I say use this to gauge interest... Obviously, if you show up and have no idea wtf is going on, we have failed to make the rules easy to grasp. Make sense?

So yeah. Updates will be posted here, as well as emailed out. I plan on having no limit to the group size, unless it is just an unruly number. Say, 8, 9, 10. Hopefully the combat should be quick enough we can support larger amounts of players.

Discuss away!

You can reach me here or via jsswann@memphis.edu for further inquiry.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Magicdragon
Well, I'm gonna have a Charizard, a Blastoise, a Venusaur, a Raichu, a Dragonite, and an Arcanine. So will everyone get a masterball or will there just be one that everyone has to share? Also, is Mew going to be available for capture and is Flash a TM or HM?
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Shadowtalon
You should swap one of them out with Miranda, she provides a good buff to your entire team.  Also I recommend you put in a biotic or two.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

JSwann
Just make sure Blastoise can fire ferrous slugs and 1.4% the speed of light in a vacuum.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Shadowtalon
And name him Sir Issac Newton.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

JSwann
I sent out an e-mail with a time and date I would to have our first meeting to all the people who signed up at the meeting.

However, I got 0 replies. I have also not received word from someone else, who was not at the meeting. This either means everyone was ok with the date, or that my emails are not being received.

I proposed we meet at the MSGC @ 5:00 PM on May 8th. Taking suggestions if people can't make it there, or then, or whatever. I'm not really limiting the number of attendees, as there really isn't a "balancing act" to the system like in some others. The main point of this is to get rules discussion, modification, creation, and everything ironed out for the next semester. Chase and I want to ensure this is an enjoyable system for everyone, so come and flex your creative muscle.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Gcjones
Administrator
I got off work for May 8th, so I can for sure be there

Just a reminder, the first alpha testing session is Saturday, May 8th @ 5:00 PM in the MidSouth Gaming Center. All you need to bring is your thinking cap and a pencil, and maybe some D6.

Anyone who needs directions or transportation should contact me.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Gcjones
Administrator
I would like a ride, if possible

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

JSwann
But of course!

I'll be there.

Re: Mass Effect: Zero (Alpha Testing)

Gcjones
Administrator
Alright, good to hear you're coming Andrew

First Impressions

Leopard D
Now that I have read through a lot of the rules, I will proceed to comment:

Critical Success:
Issue: according to the current rules, if I have a dice pool of 1 (which could be achieved by defaulting on a skill with an associated attribute of 2) and roll a 6 on my one die, then I just got a critical success.
Suggestion: perhaps require training in at least 3 ranks of a skill before allowing a critical success

Critical Failure:
Issue: this will happen too arbitrarily in my opinion.  If I roll six dice, get two 1s, a 2, a 4, a 5, and a 6, then I just critically failed.
Suggestion: revert to original Shadowrun rules for glitches and critical glitches.

Attacks vs. Armor:
Issue: With my melee attacks with arm blades, I can never miss anything with an armor value of 20 or less.  That is with at least one hit from my thirteen dice pool.  Similarly, any gun that does 6d (most of them) will always hit all but our Krogan in heavy armor.
Suggestion: perhaps allow for dodge tests when attacked by a non-sneak attack, and add the number of hits to your armor value.  It's the equivalent of giving D&D characters in light armor their dex mods added for AC.  Also, armor penetration on melee weapons is pretty intense, perhaps lower them to a max of 3.

Assassination:
Issue: it punishes characters for having high dice pools.  More dice = higher chance of 1s rolled.  You would think that being more skilled in a weapon would give you a higher chance to assassinate someone.
Suggestion: making it percentage based instead seems more fair.  Like, if 1/3 of your dice rolled are 1s, assassination fails.

That is what I see as problems in the general rules section so far.  I am looking forward to playing this system, and I hope we can hammer out some kinks this summer while we're at it.  Good work, guys.

Re: First Impressions

JSwann
I think a lot of those can be clarified with some rewording.

When we first designed these systems, we seemed to have a fairly low idea of what a "tech score" and "dice pool" were. So most of those issues are obvious now. Such as the Elcor smashing space frigates.

I'm working on alternatives right now and seeing how things play out.

That said, I don't have anything ready for Saturday, and I have some appearances to make anyway that would interfere with the start time. IE, It'd be late. And Chase may not able to come and or not completely recovered, or I'd let him take over for the day.

So we will just meet next week and I should have stuff ready for another run down.

Re: First Impressions

JSwann
Various changes have been here and there, and I'll have all the updated files on my USB drive Saturday. They won't be combined yet. I'll also have the layouts for the new character sheets, in both double-sided and same-page formats.

May 29

Durrandi
Administrator
I do not believe I will be in attendance to the session this evening.  My brother is leaving for the summer so we're doing stuff.

A Critical Discussion

Leopard D
So I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a solution for critical successes.  Then I remembered we talked about Fallout 3 and how criticals relied on your Luck SPECIAL.  Why not make crits based on edge?  First of all, there are no critical hits in Shadowrun.  You can achieve a critical success if you beat a DC by 4 hits, but in combat, you just keep doing more damage.  Seeing how we don't improve damage with hits in ME:0, the double damage takes care of that.  So here is my proposal:

If you beat a person's defenses with your attack (your damage + your hits) by a number equal to 7 minus your rating, then you roll a critical d6.  Half of your edge score (rounded up) determines what you need to get on the d6 to crit.  You may only crit once per round (this is for those dirty assault rifles).

Por ejemplo:
Jimmy Johns is a security guard for some no-name company.  He's got 3 agility, 3 rating in pistols, and 3 edge.  A young child with a pop-cap gun approaches in the dark.  Mr. Johns readies his weapon and fires on the unarmored child.  His first shot gets him 2 hits, and his gun does 4 damage.  Here's chance for crit since he exceeded the target's armor by 4 (7 minus his rating of 3).  He rolls his critical d6, and gets a 4.  No crit, but the child takes 4 damage.  Since this pistol has a firing rate of 2, Jimmy takes a second shot.  4 hits this time, so he rolls his critical d6.  He rolls a 2, so he crits (Half his edge is 1.5 which rounds to 2).  Double damage!  The kid goes down and the day is saved!...followed by hefty lawsuits from the parents.

Otro ejemplo:
Ace McSharpshooter is a grade A sniper.  He scopes his target a kilometer away and prepares to fire.  His target is a Krogan wearing some fancy armor.  Ace has an agility of 6, a rating of 7, and an edge of 7 (he's human or has the "Lucky" quality).  The Krogan is unaware, and cannot dodge, but he has a total armor of 10.  The sniper rifle has a damage of 7.  Ace fires and gets 3 hits.  This gives him a total attack of 10, which normally would be defender wins, but 7 minus a rating of 7 is 0, so on a tie, he could still crit (it's an added perk of having the aptitude quality).  He rolls his critical d6 and gets a 4.  CRIT!  The krogan takes 14 damage and wonders if a bee stung him.

This concludes my proposal.  It rewards those with higher ratings, it uses edge as an actual attribute instead of just a bank, and it takes care of rampant and arbitrary critting.  What does everyone think?

Re: A Critical Discussion

Durrandi
Administrator
Sounds good.
If that's too complicated, minimum of three 1s and opponent must roll three 6s

The Goddamn Batman

Gcjones
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Here is the layout for the top deck of the ship.

Forgive the image quality, when my computer crashed I lost all of my image programs.

Top floor:

Room I: This is the cockpit of the ship. As such, it has a large, comfortable chair situated in the front of the room. It also has several monitors which display the output and condition of several aspects of the ship which a practically unknown to nearly everybody on board. Despite the fact that it is dangerous and doesn't make any sense, there are also windows that allow the pilot to see directly outside the ship. Also, several monitors are in this room which show feeds from the many cameras on the ship.

Room II: These are the private quarters of Mr. Muley. This room only connects to the cockpit and is inaccessible through any other typical means. Perhaps the most convenient part of this room is the floor line. This line is for the main chair in the cockpit, which can move from one room to another, making it so that the pilot can move between rooms without ever having to leave the chair.

Room III: The med bay has all of the standard pieces of medical equipment that most private ships have, as well as some of the higher tech medical equipment that some military or citadel ships have. This room has a vestibule in which all entrants are sterilized. There are several beds in this room in which ill patients can lie down while being treated.

Room IV: This room is primarily a hub for most of the rooms on this deck, but it also serves another purpose. This room, like most ships, has a large holographic map of the galaxy in the middle of it, which shows the locations of all charted planets and star systems in the galaxy. It also has several chairs surrounding this map, which can be turned off, which can be used for a group meeting should the need arise.

Room V: This is the elevator, it can hold upwards of 5,000 lbs at a single time. It is very slow, or at least it seems like it to the passengers. That said, it is very efficient and has not broken down a single time.

If you have any suggestions for additional information or changes, please let me know

Re: The Goddamn Batman

Gcjones
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Here is the middle deck where most of the crew chambers are located.

If you don't like something about your room, let me know and I can change it. If you do like something about your room, please let me know because my it will make me feel warm and cozey on the inside.

Room I: This is the social area of the ship, designed for comfort. There is a bar that is decently stocked with various alcohols and drinks from most of citadel space. There is also a small kitchen for the crew to prepare meals in if they would prefer not to eat the prepared meals most ships have. Also, of course, there are several chairs throughout the room.

Room II: This is the airlock that serves as the entrance to the ship. It can sterilize and adjust pressure before allowing anything to enter or exit the ship.

Room III: These are the private quarters of Phoetria. The room is fairly standard, but unlike most of the other lodgings on this deck, this room does not have any windows. That is most likely due to the smuggling compartments that are hidden underneath the floor that can hold a fair amount of material, whether it be illegal substances, weapons, or technology.

Room IV: These are the private quarters of (enter James' character's name here). This room is the former entertainment room for the ship and as such it is rigged with many electronic outputs, though not many of them are hooked up to anything at the moment. Other than that, the room has recently been reinforced for its, ahem, heavy occupant.

Room V: These are the private quarters of (enter Allen's character's name here). This room is unlike any other room on the ship, because this room has nothing visible in it except for an exceptionally large water tank. What exactly is inside this watertank is unknown, as only one individual has ever been inside of it.

Room VI: These are the private quarters of Jamdak. This room was previously used as a quarantine bay for any sick or hurt crew member before the medical bay was added. As such, it is wired for all sorts of medical devices and is the single most sound proof room on the ship, allowing great privacy to the occupant.

Room VII: These are the private quarters of Vor Salon. This is the former observation deck of the ship, having a window that stretches across nearly the entire wall. Of course, the window, like all other windows of the ship, can be covered by metal plating similar to the hull in the event of combat. This room has its own extranet terminal and can be used to send and receive FTL messages. A chair sits in the middle of the room which can float from one part of the room to any other part of the room.

Room VIII: This hallway is the central hub of this floor. Any room can be accessed from this hallway. Um...its calm and soothing here. Yeah, calm and soothing.

Room IX: This is the elevator, it can hold upwards of 5,000 lbs at a single time. It is very slow, or at least it seems like it to the passengers. That said, it is very efficient and has not broken down a single time.
1234 ... 11