Numenera

12

Numenera

Jacbo117

Welcome to Numenera, the new science fantasy RPG that's all about discovery.

This thread will be used for character journals, back-stories, major campaign announcements, etc.

Re: Numenera

reorx15
Heya! My name is Abma. Abma Godar. I know it sounds weird, but Dad always said I was named after some huge relic. I get through life as an Intelligent Jack who Explores Dark Places. Regardless, someone mentioned it would be a good idea to post my profile here to possibly meet some new girls.
So here's a bit about my "Jack"ground :P

I'm the son of an Aeon priest, born during one of his missions in The Beyond. I grew up on the move, learning how to stay alive when searching out relics. Then Dad got killed by a giant robot... so I took the robot's hand.
I found my own way back to Steadfast at the ripe old age of 14 cycles. I applied to join the Order of Truth based on my knowledge, but they rejected me. Idiots. So I went into business guiding people to those artifacts the Order values most. Lol.
However, a recent run-in with some bandits (likely hired by the drit-sniffing Order) in the middle of one of my guided expeditions kind of ruined my business, and the vagabonds didn't even bother to grab my cyphers!

So here I am.

I can't kill stuff too well. I rarely know how to use what I'm hired to find. But I'm the best at tracking down whatever object it is we're looking for. And just in case my patrons can't pay up, my "friend" Princess can usually figure it out and help me get a fair price.

P.S. I'm not formally trained in lovemaking. No matter what anyone may have told you. ;)

Re: Numenera

supersmash159
I am Death, a Stealthy Glaive who hunts With Great Skill.

My name is Rarruk Ortheo, or it used to be. I haven't been called by that name in many, many years. Most people just call me death now. I'm unsure whether people call me this out of respect for my skill or fear of it. I'm not human, I used to be, but now I'm not. Humanity implies weaknesses, fear, remorse, sympathy. These are thing that I gave up on long ago. Why should I fear that which can’t kill me, why should I feel sympathy for anything that was unable to stop their demise, why should I care about what I've done when it can’t be changed. These are things that hold back the greatest of us. Some have called me a hero, others a villain, some a savior, others a murderer. I suppose that at different times these have all been true. I was born in a small town in the Ba-Adenu Forest. My father had been a soldier before he met my mother. She was a beautiful lady and an amazing archer since birth. My father had left the military and became a guard for the town. As early as I could stand my father began my training as a soldier. He would have me practice for hours swinging a practice sword on a dummy. It was not a problem, I loved the training, I worked with swords and bows all hours of the day. When I was thirteen my father and I went to the local smith and got my first real sword. Walking back to the house my father and I heard a loud boom followed by an eruption of fire. My father looked at me and said to go get help; oh I wish I followed orders then. My father ran toward the sound and I brandished my sword and followed him to fight whatever had happened. I arrived just in time to see my father get an arrow to the face by a local gang member hiding in a tree. It was my house on fire, with my mother trapped inside. I was enraged. I chased after the gang member but I was no match for the gang. They beat me down within an inch of my life. The last I remember of the event was a boot in my face. I awoke three days later in a forest. I ran back to town and found the burned down remains of what used to be my house. All I found there was my father’s jade amulet which allowed its user to change their hairstyle and facial hair whenever they so choose. After I searched the remains I turned around to see the man who saved me and who would train me in the stealthiest of arts, lock picking, sneaking, hiding, throwing weapons, all of these and more would become at my disposal, these new skills mixed with my father’s training helped me become of the best fighters possible. I was unstoppable now. Now eighteen I went back home, where I haven't set foot in for many years. I found the gang that murdered my family and stalked and killed them one by one. I found through investigation that my family was killed simply because the gang was bored. BORED, there is no reason that these people wanted to kill my family, I swore that I would never let this town become victim to another gang attack. I took the corpses of the gang members and displayed them in the center of town. I left a sign stating that if any new gang arises they will meet the same fate. It was never a problem again. After the town was safe I left and joined the military. The order of the army drove me mad. I had to leave. I dropped out and found myself living in the woods. I was happiest during that time. I started wandering from town to town looking for work. I Became a Mercenary, a bounty hunter, a bouncer, a bodyguard, enforcer, debt collector, all of these were a job that I had done at one point or another. But for whatever reason work has become slow, and so that is why I’m in this town that I don’t even know the name of, trading stories for drinks, waiting for something to happen.

Re: Numenera

reenigne1337
        The only happy memory of my childhood is that of my father.  He used to call me Princess.  My troubled childhood has rendered me resourceful, a team player and strong-willed.  At the age of 17 cycles, I found my body failing under the influence of an incurable, cancer-like disease.  Given less than 1 cycle to live, I allowed a group of researchers to work on me.  As a last resort, they cut the failure from my body and built me from scratch.  Part human, part machine, I moved forward.
        By dedicating the next four solar cycles to gaining mastery over my body as well as the machines of my surroundings, I became adept at discovering uses for Numenera that people bring me.  At some point during my exploration, I came across a poor creature in the dust, dying of old age.  I employed my knowledge of machines to replace the dying cat’s organs with bionic parts.  He “sees” in the IR spectrum.  His spine, composed of titanium alloy, is strong enough to take a 10+ meter fall unaided.  His spring loaded joints allow him to jump extreme distances and heights.  My faithful and wise Lux is always with me.
        I exist in a constant state of manual evolution by learning and working to be more efficient, stronger and faster.
I provide identification services for Abma Godar.

Re: Numenera

BestProtagonist
(Sorry this is so late had work/paper)

Varrus is a learned glave who fights with panache

Varrus always was a bit too curious for his own good, a guardsman in Kaparin until a recent excavation of an ancient wizards tower drew the attention of a local lord looking to acquire any of its artifacts.  Varrus quickly joined a company of explorers to go and bring back any numenera from the site.  When investigating he trigggered some mystical device, infesting him with nanomachines that continue to alter his body (Biomod background for glave).  In an effort to understand and stop what is happening to him he has dedicated his life to researching and collecting numenera.

Re: Numenera

supersmash159
http://rlv.zcache.com/gideon_jura_postcards-r4d06917426aa4e959daa16ae51afe84c_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg?bg=0xffffff - What Rarruk looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKQOm_iJug - Theme Song

Journal Entry #1
I began a new adventure today. I met a mysterious man who tried to slip on by, but i was to quick for him, there is no escaping me. This is a bit different of a mission, trying to clear out a canyon to open a door? That is quite odd in itself. But traveling with a group this large is a new experience for me. I normally work alone, but the old man offered a good deal, i can put up with these people at least till we get done with the job, except maybe for that one douchebag. What kind of person asks if you are clean? that is the most insulting thing anyone could say. Hell, his damn glove came off more times than there were bugs we fought. Had to fight some stupid bugs, they swarmed up out of some damned hole, they were actually quite interesting, they at least have good taste in who to eat, his flailing was quite entertaining. The other people im with are ... interesting characters.... to say the least. One of them is a little disconcerting, she has some obbsession with a cat, i never understood the need for a pet, they just die and bring sadness. I like the other Glaive with us, he seems okay. That guy with his dark places though, he like to explore holes with hammers. (Note to self - Dont get to close to him.)

Re: Numenera

reenigne1337

Today was exciting.  I awoke to find my cat missing...being that he is the only friend that follows me throughout my extended travels and the fact that I spent a lot of TLC repairing his old body, this was upsetting.  Abma, whom I've known for a while, usually thinks it humerous to steal Lux, so I originally thought that he had taken him.  Abma knows how much my kitty means to me and takes advantage of that emotional flaw of mine; my personality is usually very even and robotic. After a few days, venturing with Abma and his newly found friends to the chasm, I found that Lux had been out exploring.  Lux appeared disheveled, so I assumed that he had ventured through some distressing areas.  His demeanor after returning from the chasm, hinted that something might be down there.
Lo and behold, when the group and I ventured into the void, we encountered some light-emitting bugs...we are still not sure what they were or why they were there, but after prodding them for a few minutes they reacted like any animal would: they attacked.  Varrus entered combat with lots of flair today...his charisma was contagious.  It was also kinda hot...helped us battle the swarm!  We all made it out alright...Godwin was kinda bit up, but he'll be fine....

I'm not sure what the hunter (Rarruk) thinks of me and my cat...he seemed very judgmental upon first meeting us.  Hopefully he loosens up as time goes on...who knows, maybe Lux and him will become allies.
Abma has taken to making phallus jokes in order to lighten the mood...so immature, so typical.  I'll be keeping an eye on him as he tends to prank me often.
Godwin seems like kind of a d-bag...he implicitly told the hunter that he is dirty...he also seems very judgmental...we are all here for a common cause.
I hope that everyone lightens up and attempts to work to become friends :)

We have been walking for the majority of the day...I'm getting kinda tired.  Hopefully we are getting close to the end of the chasm.

Re: Numenera

reorx15
This post was updated on .

Abma here... is this recordy-thingy working? Oh well. Fine situation we've landed ourselves in. At the bottom of the deepest crack in the world, the cleanest face on the planet tripping over himself in the dirt over a couple of scary looking bugs, a hunter I know more about than may be safe for me, an old friend, and some flaming, spear-wielding psycho that seems much more skilled at fighting than he let's on. I suppose it could be worse... Like that one time in the Plains of Kataru when that tribe thought I was Kataru! Oh the memories!

But seriously, focus. I have two things to find, Sorrell and a solution to this door problem. Probability says Sorrell is dead, possibly due to the bugs. The door I have yet to see... but if my employer is correct, I may be able to squeeze out a job as a permanent guide through this hellhole for the best-paying merchants. And thank Kataru (that's me!) I didn't have to find that cat again. It wanders off far too often. Why couldn't she have replaced the brain with some simple wiring???

EDIT:
Embed file: Theme music </ ++DataFeedSatelliteN919-s4++; Artist("Audioslave"), Title("I Am the Highway"); EndofFeed; DisconnectError401/UnauthorizedAccess />

Re: Numenera

reenigne1337
Theme song for Princess: "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons

Re: Numenera

reenigne1337
Ok and for my robot side:
Daft Punk-"Technologic" and "Robot Rock"

XP For Backstories and Character Journals

Jacbo117
Anyone who posted a backstory: 2xp

Anyone who posted a character journal: 2xp

Anyone who posted character illustrations: 1xp

Anyone who posted theme songs: 1xp

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

reenigne1337
We proceeded cautiously today following an epic battle with some tentacled robots.  Abma was severely battered after his hilarious and clumsy show and as usual, Godwin put up a less than spectacular fight (:P).  Rarruk and Varus fought well though!
I used my weaponry amazingly for the amount of time I spent in battle!  I whipped one of those robots out of existence!
We are still trying to figure out the door(s) we've found; until we are better able to move as a group and utilize our skills, I fear we may spend another day or two down here...wherever "here" is.

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

supersmash159
(Attempt to post through email response)

We found the cave which contains the door. We began to explore and found that that the last inhabitants hadn't been here in a while the entire complex was in some disrepair. We fought the two tentacle armed robots. Not to toot my own horn but I essentially removed one from combat so we could take the other down, which happened sorta. It self destructed on Abma, funny. We defeated them and the "geniuses" there  got trapped behind a door. We found an electric ball of energy. And I cleared the path with a phase grenade device. We split up for whatever reason and I haven't heard Varus in a while. Princess is starting to show her abilities. Her whip maneuver was impressive, I feel sorry for Godwin though he was less than adept today. Maybes he's not on his game but he may come around.

http://mrpa.2295723.n2.nabble.com/Numenera-tp7577549p7577573.html
To unsubscribe from Numenera, click here.
NAML

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

reorx15
Robots. Why did it have to be robots?
Seriously, I hate them. I don't mind the whole bio-mechanical people thing because they still have a brain. It's the idiotic brain-made-of-chips-and-wires piles of synth shit that bug me (pun intended). I will shut this whole facility down if I have to! But if there is one more robot, I swear I will find a way to feed the entire power grid into his subsystems until they fry a slow a painful death.

And they hurt. The scaly arms, the metal arms, the blade arms, the exploding arms, the self-destruct mechanisms. All the robots in my life have been made to hurt people. Not a single helpful robot.

And we found the door. No big surprise. It was pretty hard to miss. I have a feeling we may need to get creative here. The phase disruption device may have destroyed one of the main power feeds into the door. It pretty obviously draws power from at least two generators that have been long shut down. But I'm sure Princess will figure it out, she's always been good with that stuff.

We found sorell and fought off two sarlaks (i think is spelling) we got some nice rewards for the door tommorrow well be heading back into the crack with these skilled combatants, i hope the other sarlaks dont search for their friends too hard or we could be in for a battle. Godwin was rather usless but everyone else seemed to be stepping up their games today princess did some damage, abma was a bit ... foolish, but still worked okay, Varus was weakminded and was controlled by the sarlak, i guess those campfire stories were true. damn. just makes me wonder if the rest of them are true.

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

reorx15
Both missions completed:
1.  Find Sorrell (if possible, bring him back alive)
2.  Open the door and secure safe passage.

Finding Sorrell was personal. I couldn't let something that was known to be lost go unfound. In return, I learned that he had found a possibly valuable site. I determined as best as I could from him where the wrecked glider was and made a note of it on my map. I would say it is a worthwhile reward for defeating the two light-headed cat creatures. And Rarruk seems to think they hunt in small packs using a nearby lair stashed with Numenera. It wouldn't surprise we if we ended up hunting together again in the near future.

And for the final surprise. I had only hoped something like this could exist! Gregor has provided me with an amazing device allowing me to Explore even further into Dark Places. A remotely controlled drone that will map small areas as I guide it through the light-less tunnels and rooms of the oldest ruins. I control it completely, unlike a robot with its circuits of self-awareness. Now I will go tinker with the remote mechanism that I may fully utilize it when the time comes.

*I spend all night (take 20) using my Tinkering (trained) and Knowledge [Robots] (specialized) to learn how to use the Scouting Drone and convince myself it does not exhibit any robotic traits that may override any instructions I send it.*

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

reenigne1337
Today, was a sad today.  Two big, devious kitties attacked us and we had to destroy them.  One of the kitties ate the artifact that Sorrel had as well.  How unfortunate.  Oh yeah, we found that guy wandering around in this giant crack.  We then met up with Gregor to return our quest.  We were each rewarded.  I received a sentry; a type of alarm system such that we might rest easier.  I also learned a few new tricks by gaining experience on this trip.  Mindreading is one of them!

I hope that my comrades decide to continue exploring together.  This has been a valuable and enjoyable experience!

So....I'm kinda tired...we fought a giant robot today.
It all began with our trip to the great beyond...only this time, there were no animals/larger beings around the opening.  Only bugs.  Abma's drone managed to find, what we think is, the culprit....a giant robot that seemed as curious as a child.  Think Lennie Small from "Of Mice and Men."  Our companions fought with a passion and effectively saved our asses; without them, we would be no more.  They are pretty epic; I only hope that training and experience may someday bring me to their level!

Giant robots, more like giant NObots amiright? (sorry)
We took down a giant robot today. We spent a lot of time just kinda sitting around and that was somewhat boring. Godwin, ugh....... Godwin is ... something else. I just dont even know how to think anymore. His reward for finding the door was some sort of prehensile tail. which he quickly attached to his ... part. ... after this we went to fight a giant robot. we kicked its ass along with our traveling compainions. one was a werewolf so that was cool. okay so i was trying to avoid remebering this topic but i cant help it.... godwin....fought the robot with his new ... tail. it was ... painful to watch.

Re: XP For Backstories and Character Journals

reorx15
It is a sign. Parents killed by giant robot. Giant robot tries to kill me. There is a conspiracy afoot! I must find the root, the instigator, the menace and destroy them. Utter eradication! I find things, and they will not escape my search.

I will study the workings of this dessicated mass of metal to find its weakest points. I will gather Numenera with the help of Gregor and his apprentices specifically to defend ourselves against them. And, above all, I will find the maker of these machinations and kill him/her! Like the Dread Pirate of legend, "there will be no survivors!"

On a mildly related note: The crater created by the destruction of a large robots energy core does not make for a good cushion when falling from a large distance. I think Godwin would agree, but in a slightly different way. On that note, maybe we should just think of a way to keep him out of the way during fights.
12