Playtesting 1d12!: A New RPG!

12345

Playtesting 1d12!: A New RPG!

Magicdragon
This post was updated on .
So, here's the deal. Derek Russell and I have been working since last semester to create our very own RPG which we have named 1d12. The concept? It's a rules-light, classless d12 system with dice explosions. We are now confident that we can begin playtesting as soon as possible and we're looking for players to assist us. The way playtesting will work is, the players will create a character using different parts of our system, we will run two sessions with that party and then we'll start all over, testing different parts of our system, adding things and taking things away as needed. We will likely be adding things more than taking them away ;) Don't worry, character creation shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Like we said, it's rules-light.

What we need are people who love to roleplay, as that is a big focus of the system, we need people who love to rollplay, as we need to break this system as much as possible during playtesting, and we need people who don't mind doing a series of one-shots throughout the semester. The game will be run in the evenings sometime after 4:30, once a week, preferably on Monday or Thursday. So if you are interested in helping out, we'll be more than glad to accept.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

I would love to help :-) I'm excited to get to use me d12s lol.  Most Mondays won't work for me but if playtesting is a series of one-shots would it be alright for me to jump in when I can?  If it ends up being on Tuesdays I can do it.

Admod
As of right now, both days will work for me.

Jumping in whenever is fine. There will be no overall story, the one-shots will likely have nothing to do with each other. We'll also be making new characters every couple sessions so jumping in is perfectly okay. :) Glad to hear you're good for both days, Bradley.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

First session will be Thursday the 18th, this Thursday, at 5:00pm. We will meet in the psychology building. I'll provide the character sheets and rules and whatnot. We'll be making characters and discussing the rules and then playing a one-shot meant to test whatever we want to focus on.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Magicdragon
Due to fucked up planning on my part, we will have our first session this upcoming Thursday the 27th for all who are interested in trying a new system.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Tomasik
still have room?

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Magicdragon
Yes, of course. There will always be room.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Bumbershoot
I can't promise I'd be able to regularly attend, but the way you have this set up seems to be tolerant of spotty appearances. I'm interested in helping out, and this Thursday is good for me!

THIS DRUM SOLO WILL BE VERY CLOSELY MONITORED FOR YOUR CUSTOMER ASSURANCE
THE ESTIMATED TIME OF YOUR CUSTOMER DRUM SOLO SATISFACTION IS CURRENTLY: 15 TO 20 MINUTES

Great! The whole idea is that we'll get to see how easy it is to learn the rules quickly, how quickly we can make characters, and how much we can break the game. So, yeah, it's pretty much, come in, play a one-shot adventure (that may end up lasting two sessions) and then decide what can be added/changed. No obligation to come back to the table regularly :D
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Mister Fox
The system utilizing dice that hardly see the table is something that will excite me. More than that though I am looking forward to the rules light system as IT MAKES YOU ROLEPLAY!

I am guessing that we can get things rolling with short one shots however have we decided on a location and do you have any kind of rules at the table or stuff like that?

Things like no laptops or anything?

Sounds fun I look forward to throwing dice Thursday
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

It's going to be every Thursday at 5:00pm in the Psychology building unless something happens. I don't think anyone will need laptops for the sessions because nobody has the book. Of course, if you want to bring your laptop for some mood music, then by all means, please do. Otherwise, it only serves as a distraction. The only real rules I apply at the table are: no crude or ridiculous sexual acts in-character and no making anyone uncomfortable (especially me) with anything involving sex. No in-character conflict without a good in-character reason or your character gets maimed. I think that's about it. I don't care if you bring your laptop, but if you're searching facebook or /b/ or whatever it annoys me and i'll ask you to stop.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Bumbershoot
I'm afraid I will not be able to make tonight's game, but if it's not a problem, I'll probably be able to pop in next week. I dunno how you'd feel about someone suddenly appearing BETWEEN the three-session... sessions that you plan to do, so if it's a problem, I could wait until a new cycle.

SO YOU GUYS GOT LUCKY THIS TIME. YOU WILL BE SPARED THE PLAGUE OF MY PRESENCE. BUT NEXT WEEK?

WHO KNOWS?

Feel free to pop in. The only reason i give 1-3 days for each set of characters is because i'm not sure how long these one-shot adventures will take. They tend to take me about 2 days to run through them.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

well I am more than excited to play in this campaign what are the genre's we will be playing in?

We'll start off with high fantasy because that's what the campaign setting for the game is, and it's what I'm used to running. Then as the semester progresses we'll go into horror, sci-fi, low fantasy, super hero, and whatever else anyone wants to do. The settings will change periodically with each new adventure. So we may do fantasy pirates or sci-fi pirates or dragon slayers or dungeon crawls or whatever. The point is to see how the system works with each genre and setting since it's a rules-light system that should blend into anything.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

Mister Fox
Sci-fi Dragon slaying pirate superheroes? Sounds like a great game to me.

Also I have information about room reservation and how that process goes so I will explain it to everyone when I arrive.

Also I am really looking forward to this and I think you should totally print a copy of this book and get it bound then have everyone sign it that participates.
"Thanks for not killing me. Oh wait!"- Daniel Henry "I hate you"- Derek Russell "Go look at your stupid Catgirls" - Chase Jones

Re: Playtesting 1d12: A New RPG!

I was actually thinking that MRPA should "publish" a book of gaming resources created by our folks. Getting things bound at Paw Prints is not expensive at all, especially if you print things yourself.  idk if this will be book length when it's finished and Mass Effect: Zero may not be either, but between those two systems, various campaign settings, and miscellaneous things like magic items and locales that people have created I think we could put together a decent-sized document.

Oh right! About your system.  I think it definitely has potential.  I like how the description of one's actions affect which attribute you are using. That is soo totally cool. I think sneak attack is too powerful but that's about the only gripe I have. I feel like the creature you are sneak attacking needs vitals for you to be able to kill it. One-shotting a golem or zombie doesn't make a lick of sense.
12345