Traps

Durrandi
Administrator
All Ackbar jokes aside, post an innovative, grisly, and/or uncommon trap you've made, encountered, and/or read.

I saw this one in an old Legends and Lairs source book.  Any of you have ever ready Harry Potter and remember that some of the steps in the castle were false steps that someone would fall through?  This one is similar to that.  Only this one had blades in it pointing downward.  Here's how this would play out:

EDIT: found the sourcebook again.

Leg Shredder
Search DC:20
Disable DC:20
Damage: 1d6

The trap is a trapdoor disguised as a step, which opens into a 2feet deep compartment lined with metal barbs. Creatures of small,medium, or large size that step on the stair must succeed a Reflex DC20  or have on of their legs slip through the trapdoor and become anchored by the downward pointing barbs.  A creature stuck in the compartment suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls, -4 penalty to dexterity, and cannot move.  Creatures taking a full round action to make a Strength or Escape Artist check (DC20)  to pull free from the trap suffer an automatic 1d6 points of damage regardless of success or failure. A successful Disable Device check (DC20) takes 1d4 rounds to complete and allows a creature to withdraw from the compartment without taking damage.

Some DMs (i.e. me) swap out the raw damage for limb damage.  For example:  the leg is wounded and that character's movement is reduced by 5' due to limping and -1 to all dex checks. (Be logical, wounded leg wouldn't make sense impeding lock picking)

EDITx2: Pics or it didn't happen

Re: Traps

Gcjones
Administrator
One of the last sessions I had before I switched to Eberron had a dungeons with traps that I made.

The wizard who used to use this area as a study, or what you will, used to be very playful, but as he aged, his psyche began to deteriorate and he became withdrawn, bitter, and malevolent towards the world. To reflect that, not only did the rooms get darker and darker in theme as they went along, but the traps did too.

The very first trap was a simple hallway.

______________________       ___________________
                                   \     /
                                    \__/

Shaped like that, with a ten foot hole in the floor. There were steps built into each side so that players could climb down the hole and then climb back up it. Safe, but a little time consuming. One of my players, Derek, decided to just jump across the hole, which as a goliath, he would have had no problem doing, were it not for a playful trap. When Derek hit the half-way mark over the hole, he hit an invisible wall full force that made him fall an additional ten feet after that. Simple, playful, non-lethal.

Then, there was only one more trap in there that I consider a trap and not a puzzle. After a couple of combats, they were going to ascend up to the second floor of the wizard's keep. It was a long, steep hallway.
                         ___
                  ___/
            ___/
        __/
____/

Just imagine that is an even slope and not steps.

The door to enter the hallway said "Bravery is needed ahead." As they entire, they notice the entire length of the hallway has large holes in the walls. After they walk for a bit the door slams shut behind them. Then, large spikes dripping with poison thrust out from the walls. They don't move in on the players or stick out much farther than twelve inches or so. After they walk forward a bit, a large boulder drops down from a hole in the ceiling at the top of the slope and begins to make its way down. The players now have to either succeed at bending their bodies between the spikes or press themselves against the spikes and take damage to ensure that they don't get hit by the boulder.

One of my players, Derek, once again, decides he is going to smash the boulder by charging at it and hitting it with his full strength. He charged at the boulder and swung as hard as he could at it, only to go straight through it. The boulder was an illusion and the room was designed for it. There were air vents to simulate when the boulder hit the ground, the room shook a little, everything to make the boulder seem real. The spikes were their so that those who didn't face the boulder either had to make a difficult check or take damage. Those who faced the boulder straight on faced to penalties.

So bravery wasn't actually rewarded, but if you weren't braved, odds are you were punished

Re: Traps

Durrandi
Administrator
Another favorite of mine is the "Long Pit" trap. It is essentially a corridor with a locked door at the end.  When the door is opened (after being unlocked)  it triggers a pit trap that is the length of the hallway.  Now the player that opens the door is the only one who can make spot check for the trap (since it is triggered by the door) and is the only one who can make a reflex save to avoid the pit. (Since they can dive through the door.

Long Pit trap
Spot: DC20
Reflex save: DC15 (first PC only!)
I find it very useful for separating a party member from the rest of the group.
It's a nice effect if you couple it with a DMPC who is overpowered than the rest of the party, yet they are suddenly removed from him and are on they're own.  Give the party the SOL feeling.

Re: Traps

Magicdragon
I just came up with this one. It's not a harmful trap and I haven't actually tried it. I actually came up with it two seconds ago but here it is:
It's a room that's large and open at first with a standard encounter (prefferably with lots of weaker monsters) When the players enter the room walls come up in a maze-like fassion effectively making it a new and more complicated terrain. As the encounter goes on every few rounds or so the walls change making it a completely new terrain hopefully splitting up the pcs from each other and monsters they may have been attacking. It would make for a very interesting and maybe a longer battle. It would also help the DM keep from accidentally killing pcs and also keep monsters from dying too quickly. It would also add more need for strategy when flanking and placing area of effect spells and hopefully wouldn't make ranged attackers completely useless. I think it would be a good and fun thing to implement so long as it wouldn't take too long to redraw the room over and over again. You could maybe have separate boards with each different room setup predrawn so you could just switch them out and save time.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Traps

Magicdragon
found this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24104034/The-Wurst-of-Grimtooth-s-Traps
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Traps

Gcjones
Administrator
I've got another book in that series, although mine is significantly older. I'll give it to you when you get back

Re: Traps

Magicdragon
Sweet. I downloaded that one and I'm really excited about using the traps for my game. Even if they are 3.5e I can port them over to 4e easily enough.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.

Re: Traps

Gcjones
Administrator
Actually, I looked through it and its the exact same book I have, just repackaged and updated for 3.5

Still great though

Re: Traps

Magicdragon
I just got through reading a couple stories about a city that was ruled by thieves that regularly and legally stole from one another and so their keeps and such were always trapped to make it difficult for people to steal from them. The books described some interesting traps and I will post some that caught my attention:

1) Carpets that made a wailing/screeching alarm sound when stepped on.
2) A window that when opened and entered without disarming it made the sound of dogs barking.
3) Pillars that detected changes in the air currents in a room and activated alarms.
(Most of these activated some sort of alarms but could easily do other things although alarms could call baddies in...hehehe)
4) A noise activated turret that shot a poisoned dart in the direction that a loud enough sound was made, louder than the light scraping sound of the boots of a careful person but the noise didn't have to be a yell. The turret never ran out of ammo.
5) Coupled with this turret was a tile that when stepped upon started closing a door in the path ahead so as to rush anyone in the hall, meaning they would likely have to run in order to make it before the door shut.
6)(One of my favorites) A spiral staircase in the middle of the room that only activated when anything even lightly touched the stairs but not the railings or anything else. Once activated a curtain of darkness surrounded it and anything on the staircase was burnt or very singed. In a sword was placed on it, the sword almost immediately became too hot to hold.
Name: Hi, everybody, I'm Justin.